The more Dr. Ilardi looked at the commonalities of these mentally healthy societies, the more he was able to tease out certain common variables that he was then able to operationalize in his groundbreaking research dubbed the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) Project. He took clinically depressed subjects and then incorporated several of these therapeutic lifestyle changes into their lives for several weeks.
And what were these magical lifestyle changes?
- Getting regular daily exercise
- Getting plenty of natural sunlight
- Getting ample sleep every night
- Eating an Omega-3 rich diet
- Being involved in some type of social activity where social connections were made
- Participation in meaningful tasks that leave little time for negative thoughts or rumination.